john mulaney snl

John Mulaney, a comedian and former Saturday Night Live writer, spoke up about his experience “breaking up” with his drug dealer in his opening monologue on SNL.


The comedian, now 39, started his journey towards getting sober when he was 23 years old. At the time, he was addicted to cocaine, alcohol, and prescription drugs. However, he relapsed back in 2020 and entered a rehabilitation center for two months to get back on track.

He talked openly about his drug problem in the opening monologue, saying that it was a “very good experience.” One of the exercises the rehab clinic had Mulaney do was sit down with a counselor and text his drug dealers to “break up” with them. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUgzDqniZgo

What happened next was entirely unexpected. Mulaney told his audience, “I texted my main dealer, Arvin, first. And I said, ‘Hey, I’m deleting and blocking you. I’m sober now. I’m never going to buy drugs again.’”

He went on, saying, “I’m polite, so I didn’t know how to end the text, so I was like, ‘But … Thank you for all of the nights that became days and your inspired professionalism.’”

But before the comedian had a chance to block the number, Arvin texted him back, saying, “‘Hey I’m so proud of you, I’m so happy that you got sober. You know, I only bought drugs to sell to you because I was worried about you and I didn’t want you to get worse stuff off the street.’”

Mulaney clutched his chest as the audience laughed.

“And I’m breaking up with this guy? So I can’t block him now, I text him back. I go, ‘Hey, oh my god you sweet man.’ I said, ‘You only bought drugs to sell to me? … Did you sell drugs to other people?’ He said, ‘No.’”

Things got even weirder, as Mulaney said he asked his drug dealer…if he was, in fact, a drug dealer.

“He said, ‘No, I’m a painter, we talked about this,’” Mulaney said.

“Ladies and gentleman, I have no idea how I know this person. So I text him. I go, ‘How did it come to be that you sell me drugs?’ And he wrote back, ‘I don’t know. You just kept asking.’

“There are many tales of drug dealers who have turned innocent people into drug addicts, I might be the first drug addict to turn an innocent man into a drug dealer.”

Following the comedian’s 60 days in a Pennsylvania rehab clinic, he asked for a divorce from his wife of seven years, Anna Marie Tendler, and the paperwork was officially filed in July 2021. 

In a comment provided by a spokesperson for Anna, she said of Mulaney, “I wish him support and success as he continues his recovery.”

Only a few months later, the comedian announced his long-rumored relationship with actress Olivia Munn. 

Mulaney revealed that the pair were expecting their first son in an interview on Late Night with Seth Meyers. Their son was born in late November 2021.

@johnmulaney/Instagram

In the interview with Meyers, Mulaney stated simply, “I didn’t want an intervention. At that moment in time, I wanted to continue using drugs."

“You guys saved me from drugs and Olivia and this baby have helped save me from myself and this early journey out of recovery. I don’t have a joke for that.”

The post John Mulaney’s SNL Monologue Focuses On Bizarre Text Conversation With His Ex-Drug Dealer appeared first on The Mother of All Nerds.



John Mulaney’s SNL Monologue Focuses On Bizarre Text Conversation With His Ex-Drug Dealer
Source: Pinoy Inquirer News

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post